🎉 Welcome to our new Trend Micro Community! Explore the new look! Read More

Posted Sat, 11 May 2024 06:29:02 GMT by mrpeterjohnston

Is this "feature" here to stay, or will future updates possibly allow the user to disable the password prompt setup when disabling the protection... because if this is here to say - I'm cancelling my subscription come the end of my billing period.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 20:28:47 GMT by tm_helen

Hi @mrpeterjohnston 

We're disappointed to see you leave, but for the time being, this feature remains available. Your feedback/request has been duly communicated to our developers, though we can't assure its inclusion in the next product release.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 22:19:45 GMT by mrpeterjohnston

@tm_helen​ Well... nice go. You had this very lovely piece of software and through terrible decisions made it clunkier and less helpful.

Quite an achievement.

Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 22:55:11 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_helen​ 

English translation:

"nothing will change"

Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 09:10:38 GMT by tm_joyce

Hi @mrpeterjohnston and @claudiubotezatu​,

We understand your sentiments and feedback. While we may not be able to implement every suggestion, please know that your input remains invaluable to us as we strive for continuous improvement.

Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 09:26:54 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_joyce​ 

At best , the password thing is poorly implemented.

If you try to disable TM you get the "password warning" , however if you simply Exit the program you get nothing.

This is easy to reproduce and there is no argument that this is a flaw.

Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 19:52:52 GMT by tm_z

Hi @claudiubotezatu ,

Apologies for the inconvenience. When you want to close Trend Micro from the system tray or disable its protection, it might seem like the same thing, but they're actually different:

1. Exiting Trend Micro from the system tray: You don't need the main console password for this. It's designed this way to make it easier for people who use the program a lot. You can quickly access it without having to type in the password every time, which makes things faster and more convenient.

2. Disabling Trend Micro protection for Windows: This does require a password. It's an extra layer of security to stop anyone unauthorized from messing with the program's settings. This helps keep your cybersecurity protection strong and reliable.

Moreover, if you've already set up a main console password to stop unauthorized changes, you'll need to enter that password when you're exiting from the system tray.

Hope this helps.

Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 20:10:31 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_z​ 

Seem we are speaking different languages.....

"It's an extra layer of security to stop anyone unauthorized from messing with the program's settings"

So, in your opinion, as an expert in PC security, is OK to have TM turned OFF by an unauthorized user TM , but noo...we need a password to disable TM

Really????

Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 09:35:31 GMT by mrpeterjohnston

@claudiubotezatu​ I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks this whole sub-layer of "protection" is ludicrous and very heavily flawed.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 00:53:05 GMT by tm_vince

Hi @claudiubotezatu  and @mrpeterjohnston ,

Again, if you have already set up a main console password for the Trend Micro Antivirus it will require you to put in your main console password if ever you want to disable it via exiting on the Trend Micro Antivirus system tray icon. The feature is to ensure that the user will only be the one that can turn off Trend Micro Antivirus and prevent unauthorized person on disabling it. 

Hope this helps.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 08:32:26 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_vince​ 

"Again, if you have already set up a main console password"

Yes, but if you did not set up a password, you will get a prompt when you try to stop the protection and nothing when you try to exit the program.

This is the poor implementation /nonsense we are talking about.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 01:16:19 GMT by tm_Waj

Hi @claudiubotezatu​ 

Since the feature is functioning as intended, we can proceed with adopting the changes. Of course, we welcome and value your suggestions and comments.

Thank you for your understanding!

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 08:12:20 GMT by mrpeterjohnston

@tm_Waj​ Yeah, after that comment - I'm DEFINITELY cancelling my membership the second it expires. The idiocy of this "feature" is baffling and beyond belief, and is poorly thought out.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 10:32:49 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_Waj​ 

With 22 messages so far , tm_Waj  felt the need to jump into conversation, adding ZERO value to it....

It puzzles me this attitude, to defend a fact despite all evidence and to refuse to acknowledge it and , eventually correct it.

I gave up!

Posted Mon, 27 May 2024 10:41:50 GMT by tm_joyce

Hi @mrpeterjohnston​, 

Apologies for the late response.

One alternative we could pursue regarding this concern is to add your program/file to the exception list. At that moment, Trend Micro won't be able to detect your program and interfere with it. You may check this link for the full instructions. 

Hi @claudiubotezatu,

Regarding your feedback, it appears that the feature will remain unchanged. As "Protect against virus and spyware" constitutes the main functionality of the program, it is crucial to require a password to activate the action when turning it off. While it is true that if no password is set for the main console, you can simply exit the program, it will automatically be turned on once the device is rebooted, as it is listed among the device's startup apps.

Hope this helps. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.