🎉 Welcome to our new Trend Micro Community! Explore the new look! Read More

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 01:25:49 GMT by tm_vince

Hi @woodsro0 ,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

Kindly try to check if your Wi-Fi connection is set as metered connection, if yes kindly turn it off.

To turn off metered connection

1. Wi-Fi: In Settings, select Network & internet > Wi-Fi > the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to, then turn off Metered connection.
  2. Ethernet: In Settings, select Network & internet > Ethernet > the network you’re connected to, then turn off Metered connection
  1. Cellular: In Settings, select Network & internetCellular, then turn off Metered connection.

Let me know if you have questions.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 02:37:20 GMT by woodsro0

I have done that, I checked in Windows and the connection isn't metered and doesn't have a data limit on it. What else do you think would cause this?

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 04:19:44 GMT by tm_karl

Hi @woodsro0,

Trend Micro Security checks for scheduled updates every 3 Hours. 

You may also check this article: What updating your Trend Micro program means | Trend Micro Help Center

Can you provide the version of your Trend Micro Security before triggering the manual update and the version after the manual update?

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 08:54:54 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@woodsro0​ 

Use "Registry editor" from Windows and open these registries:

see if "Enable" is 1, "Delay" has a value ( I set mine to 45 sec) and "Interval"  has also a value  (Again, I set mine to 1800 sec)

To modify these values , you have to exit TM first.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 10:20:01 GMT by woodsro0

@tm_karl​ 

Version before update is 17.8.1192

Version after update is 17.8.1192

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 10:30:03 GMT by woodsro0

@claudiubotezatu​ 

Thank you, I went ahead and modified my values to match yours. On mine, the interval key was set to 108000 so not sure why that was, maybe that was the issue?

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 12:07:30 GMT by tm_chard

@woodsro0 

The version 17.8.1192 that your Trend Micro has is the latest component version.

Can you clarify again why you mentioned that the Trend Micro program is not automatically updating, did you get a notification that the program is out of date?

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 12:37:41 GMT by woodsro0

@tm_chard​ 

Yes, I left my computer on for 5 days, and during those 5 days it never automatically downloaded any updates at all, and Windows Security Center reported it being out of date. As soon as I went to the "About software page" it downloaded a TON of updates to Anti spam, Digital signatures, pattern files, etc. Its been like this since i bought the program a few months back, it just won't auto update. My connection is not metered, its a 1TB Comcast connection, computer doesn't sleep just monitor turns off when idle, not sure why it won't update on its own and i always have to manually do it..

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 16:37:45 GMT by tm_klariz

@woodsro0​,

As mentioned on the previous replies, your Trend Micro program already has the latest component version installed. Usually, when you manually check for program updates on About the Software tab, it will try to download and install updates and will automatically be updated as soon as a newer version is available.

If Windows Security settings is still showing that your antivirus software is out of date even though you have the latest version installed, kindly try restarting the components of your Trend Micro program by following the steps here.

Also, please ensure that your Windows operating system is up to date. Microsoft regularly releases updates that can address bugs and improve compatibility with antivirus software. 

Hope this helps.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 19:50:38 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@woodsro0​ 

Disable "fast start-up" is somehow is enabled...

Now, turn off your PC

Wait 1 min

Turn it ON

Count 45 sec (if you modified "delay" to 45) and watch TM icon in task bar.

In 45 sec from boot icon should "circle" checking for updates.

Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 21:45:01 GMT by woodsro0

@claudiubotezatu​ 

Thank you for your help, I done this, but the icon never circled and it never checked for updates. im not sure what else i can do at this point...

Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 11:12:24 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@woodsro0​ 

I supposed you already uninstalled it using the provided uninstaller in TM folder and reinstall it.

Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 18:01:50 GMT by tm_helen

Hi @woodsro0​ 

If Trend Micro Security remains disconnected from the Internet for over 3 days, you might encounter a "Protection Outdated" message. Without an Internet connection, it cannot automatically update to acquire the latest patterns or module updates. In such cases, you'll need to manually initiate the update process.

Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 23:19:51 GMT by claudiubotezatu

@tm_helen​ 

"Without an Internet connection"

The OP seems to be knowledgeable enough to change the registry keys, so most likely he/she checked already for an active internet connection....

Posted Sat, 04 May 2024 18:59:40 GMT by tm_z

Hi @woodsro0 ,

Let us know if the same issue will recur after you clean reinstall your Trend Micro Security. Here's how:

1. Uninstall Trend Micro Security using Diagnostic Toolkit.
  2. Once uninstalled, delete temporary files in your Windows PC
  3. Delete Trend Micro files from the following locations:
    • C:\ProgramData\Trend Micro
    • C:\Program Files\Trend Micro
    • C:\Program Files (x86) \Trend Micro
    • C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local Low
    • C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming
  4. Also, delete Registry items Trend Micro created:

BEFORE YOU PROCEED: Make sure to back up the registry before deleting these items.

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trend Micro
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trend Micro
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Trend Micro
  5. Restart your computer then reinstall Trend Micro Security by following the steps here.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.